ACT OF INCORPORATION, CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS OF THE BOSTON SOCIETY OF NATURAL HISTORY
[Boston Society of Natural History], [Act of Incorporation and Constitution]
Price: 45.00 USD
(Boston: John H. Eastburn, 1832), Scarce incorporating publication of the important Boston Society of Natural History. The catalogue of members occupying the final two pages reads a virtual "who's who" of 19th century Boston society. Among the names are Oliver Wendal Holmes, Samuel Goodrich, Alden Weston, James Bowdoin and members of many other old and historic Boston families. The Boston Society of Natural History, now called the Boston Museum of Science, was founded to replaced the Linnaean Society, which had been active from 1813 to 1823. The founding members of both groups were mostly physicians who were interested in natural history. They were concerned with the collection and display of natural objects, the study of specimens, and public education. The large number of important publications that the Boston Society would eventually produce between 1834 and 1946 commenced with the noteworthy Boston Journal of Natural History. After 30 years of effort, capped by the generosity of Dr. William J. Walker, a beautiful museum building (as lovely as ever and visible from our windows here at Buddenbrooks) was completed in 1863. In 1946 the society changed its name to the Museum of Science and purchased a tract of land spanning the Charles River, now known as Science Park. Shortly thereafter began the construction of the present museum, internationally recognized as one of the finest museums of its type on the planet and a model of others around the globe. First Edition. 8vo, original self wrappers, stitch bound. 16pp. A very well preserved copy. With contemporary ownership signature of 'E. Weston' on blank wrapper and titlepage, probably a relative of Society member and noted Boston attorney Alden B. Weston, additional and unobtrusive old manuscript notes occasionally throughout.
- By This Publisher: (Boston: John H. Eastburn, 1832)